Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Helping Kids Counseling Services Introduction



Hello—
My name is Alison Neihardt. I am a counselor for children in lovely Northern Michigan. I help children, teens, and their families with all kinds of problems. In my office we talk about bullies, school, friends, grades, parents, siblings, hurt feelings, pain, frustrations, the list goes on and on and on. Kids know that my office is a safe space. They can come in, get a snack, and just unload.
Sometimes going to counseling is scary. I try my very best to help counseling to not be so scary. Some times when I counsel children it looks like we are just drawing or playing games. That is the furthest from the truth! We are building a relationship so children can trust me with their deepest hurts and know that their secrets are safe with me! Most kids come to counseling not really knowing what to expect and or not trusting adults and in some cases more specifically counselors. The reason is very simple they have been hurt by adults. Counselors have told their secrets and caused more hurt, or honestly counselors didn’t provide the help the kids needed.  Or other adults don’t care enough to listen to them. That is one of the biggest thing ANY kid wants, to be heard and understood!
Being a kid is a scary thing sometimes. Having an adult or two or ten that you can trust is vital to survival! For many kids I am one of those trusted adults. For some, I may be the only adult in their lives that has earned their trust, and I do mean earned! I take this part of my job VERY seriously! I do the best to make sure that when a child walks out of my office that they are safe, know they are cared for and loved!
When looking for a counselor for your child, look for someone who not only says they like or “love” kids but actually shows it! Your child should be that counselor’s priority when they are in that counselor’s office. What does this look like? First, they have experience with children. Second, they understand the needs of not only children in general but do their best to understand the needs of your child and your family. Third, you want a counselor who treats your child with love and respect.  And lastly they know how to help your child and your family in the situation that you are in. If you have found this in a counselor, they are a good one!
I have begun this blog to hopefully reach more families and help them in any way I can, whether you actually set foot in my office or not. My goal is to write about things that matter to you and your family. I am collecting a list of ideas to write about and hopefully be able to share with you, the parent.
You of course probably would like to know my qualifications. I am licensed by the state of Michigan as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC). I am currently working on my Certified Advanced Alcohol Drug Counselor (CAADC). I received my Masters of Counseling from Spring Arbor University Lansing, Michigan. I earned my Bachelors of Science of Counseling, Religious Education, and Associates of Arts in Early Childhood Education from Great Lakes Christian College Lansing, Michigan.
In my spare time I enjoy photography, crocheting, reading, and spending time with my family. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. If I can be of assistance to you or your family please visit my website www.helpingkidsupnorth.com. God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment