Monday, August 14, 2017

My Mission


My Mission

 



Helping Kids is my calling not just the name of my business. I love children. I always have. I began babysitting at the age of twelve and have worked with children ever since. I love helping children and their families. This is my life work. I have worked at as a teacher, children’s minister, missionary, Sunday School Teacher, Vacation Bible School director, and now counselor.

I see hurting and struggling children and I just want to reach out and help. It could be a problem they are having at home, it could be someone is hurting them, or they are having a hard time in school. I just want to help them make it better.

In Sunday School class, every week I do a check in with my third graders. This allows them time to tell me what is going on in their lives. They know I will listen to them. They also know that I am interested in them. I still have kids after many years of teaching Sunday School who still come to me when they are having a problem or to just get a hug.

I get asked often if I have children. No, I do not, but the kids who come through my door whether in my office, or my Sunday School classroom are “my” kids. I do my best to look after them. That saying, “it takes a village” is so very true. My church parents know that if there is something serious going on with their kids and I find out about it that I will most definitely let them know!

Why am I telling all of this? For one it is what is on my heart, and for two I take the scripture of Jesus letting the little children come to him very seriously. We need to be like Jesus and let the children come to us. We need to be approachable. Kids need to know they can come to us when they need help. They need to know they have grown-up friends who love them and care about them.

As adults, we need to invest in the lives of children on a daily basis. Whether as a parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, or friend. Kids need to know they matter.  We want children to be successful adults, so we adults need to help them.

Some kids go through so much, and they have a hard time trusting adults. We need to be an adult they can trust. We may be the only one. It is possible to overcome the hurt, pain and trauma that happens to kids, with the right people there helping. It needs to be our mission to invest in children in a positive way to help them become a successful adult.


No comments:

Post a Comment