Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Keep on Readin, Keep on Readin....



Keep on Readin, Keep on Readin…..


As we begin our summer and kids are out of school for a break we begin to think of how we are going to spend our time. Are we as a family going to hit the beach? Go on a vacation? Go visit family? Read?

Wait, what? Yes, I said read! Part of my summer as a child was going to the library or bookstore to pick out my next book I wanted to read. From Little House on the Prairie to Nancy Drew and many others that were my favorites. For me reading was a way of going to another place and time. But, I realize that many children do not feel the same about reading as I did.

For many children reading is a huge struggle. This is all the more reason children need to read. They need the practice. The more they read the better they will be at reading. It takes practice. Some children are slow readers; some have a learning issue that makes reading hard for them.

So, how do adults help these kids? Well, for starters sit down with them to help them read. Read to them, or have them read to you. Just twenty minutes a day will help. This will help them not loose the progress they have made in school and they may even be able to improve their skills over the summer.    

Some may say, this is really hard, why try? Well, in order to do well in school in general, kids need to be able to read well. They have to read for every subject and be able to understand what they are reading. They need to be able to read directions and follow what they have read.

So, how do I motivate my child to read? Well, take time with them one on one and read with them. Set aside time every day to read, maybe before bedtime? Some kids may need to work up to reading for twenty minutes a day. They will get there. Don’t give up!

So, why as a child therapist am I concerned about if my kiddos read or not? Well, being confident at something. Having confidence is a big self-esteem booster! Kids who can read well, can do other things well. Kids that may struggle with reading and finally have that a break through and they feel like a million bucks!

Also, kids who struggle with school are often bullied and picked on because they struggle. They may be depressed and stressed because of school being a struggle. This causes kids to not want to go to school at all. They see their classmates doing better and they begin to compare themselves to others around them. I see this all the time with kids.  

Some kids that come to me who have been in foster care and have not had parents who have not really helped them with learning to read really struggle with every part of school and life in general. They had parents who didn’t pay attention to things like school and learning. It wasn’t a priority. So, how to help these kids? Well, again help them with playing catch up. Help them boost their skills in reading so they can be up to grade level.

The bottom line, make reading fun! Reading is a way to escape reality for a while. It is a way to use your imagination and learn new things. Children, who can read well, will go far in life! The trick is helping kids find what they like to read about. They need to find what they are interested in. This is where the public library comes in handy or some online reading system. Find computer games that are educational, yet fun to help kids improve their reading skills.

Set limits on how much time they spend playing video games or watching TV, and encourage them to read. Let them take that book on a road trip so they can read in the car. Take their book camping so they can still read before bed.  Take your children to the library on a regular basis to get books and learn what is available to them at the public library.

I also want to share with professionals what I have done to help my client kiddos with reading. I set up a small lending library in my office. I was lucky to have wonderful friends donate books to me! I allow my kiddos take up to two books at time. When they are done with their books they can bring them back and borrow two more.   This helps the kiddo who is struggling as well as the kiddo who likes to read! Win! Win!

Children need to understand that reading can be fun and they can succeed as a reader. This is powerful for any child or teen!

No comments:

Post a Comment