Tuesday, November 21, 2017

What Are Your Little Turkeys Thankful For?


What Are Your Little Turkeys Thankful For?



I have been asking the kiddos in my life this question or the last few weeks. I get some very fun answers! On the cute side I get one little girl who is thankful for kittens. On the serious side I get things like God, family, friends, food, a new house, and so on.

One of the reasons I love working with kids is because of their innocence and the way they look at life. They see things in such a simple way. They look at the things around them and see what they have and count it as something to be thankful for.

One of my kiddos explained to me, in his family they each have a jar with their name on it. Each day they write on a piece of paper something they are thankful for and put it in the jar. Then on Thanksgiving they as a family are going to sit down and read what each other put in their jars.

One of the things I noticed when I asked the kids what they are thankful for was what they DIDN’T tell me. They didn’t say anything about stuff! They didn’t say video games or the newest toy. This shows to me that my little group of second graders in my Sunday School class have their priorities in line. They are thankful for what they have.

Now as we celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas think about what you as an adult are thankful for. Are you thankful for the same things as the young but mature kids? Are you thankful for your family, your friends, a house, clothes, food, a job, all the things God has blessed you with? What would you put in your jar?

Are you thankful for your kids? Do they know that you are? Yes, as a parent or caregiver your kids drive you crazy! But, do you tell them that they drive you crazy as much as you tell them that you are thankful for them? What about the rest of your family? Do you tell them that you are thankful for them? And not just at Thanksgiving or Christmas?

I am sure that many of you tell your kids that you love them regularly. But, one of the things I have learned in working with families is that not all kids do not get told regularly that they are loved. This holiday season let’s start a new tradition. Making sure that those who are in our lives all year long know they are loved and we are thankful for them. Just as my second graders know they are thankful for their families and friends, we as adults need to know the same thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment